Hatemeter: what is it?Project Hatemeter aims at systematising, augmenting and sharing knowledge on Anti-Muslim hatred online, and at increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of NGO/CSOs in preventing and tackling Islamophobia at EU level, by developing and testing an ICT tool (i.e., HATEMETER platform) that automatically monitors and analyses Internet and social media data on the phenomenon, and produces computer-assisted responses and hints to support counter-narratives and awareness raising campaigns.
Hatemeter: what does it do?Hatemeter will adopt a multidimensional approach to prevent and tackle Anti-Muslim hatred online at EU level, through a strategic use of Internet and social media. This approach to the Anti-Muslim hatred management will bring current methods to combat Islamophobia online to a next stage, creating the conditions to:
- raise a better understanding on Anti-Muslim hatred online by exploiting the Internet and social media potential;
- deliver the Hatemeter platform to support NGO/CSOs in preventing and tackling Anti-Muslim hatred online;
- strengthening cooperation among key actors and ensuring the widest circulation and a long term impact of project results on future research streams and operational strategies.
- identify and systematise in real-time actual “red flags” of Anti-Muslim hate speech and/or possible related threats online (Real-time Identification);
- understand and assess the sets of features and patterns associated with trends of Islamophobia online (In-depth Understanding);
- develop an effective tactical/strategic planning against Anti-Muslim hatred online through the adoption of the innovative Computer Assisted Persuasion (CAP) approach (Tactical/Strategic Response);
- produce an accurate counter-narrative framework for preventing and tackling Islamophobia online, and building knowledge-based and tailored awareness raising campaigns (Counter-Narratives Production).